Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
moondawg
Faron
jlee
Sean Guthrie
Zac_with_no_K
Tony
darcydawg
muddfoot
12 posters

Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

muddfoot

Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts Empty Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

Post  muddfoot Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Guys,

After talking to a few of the "Arcor racers" that arent really interested in buying "High end" Touring cars, set up stations and truers I figure we should consider one of these classes for this season.

1. Tamiya Mini - Tamiya M-02, M-03, M-04 or M-05 chassis, Tamiya Silver can motor, Tamiya electric speed control (unable to do "wild settings" and already comes in the kit)...rules are posted on Tamiya's website...basically only hop ups allowed are Tamiya's alone for that specific kit. Tamiya tires are also required. I have run these several seasons at TCS and they are alot of fun...approx $100-140 dollars. Required a stick type battery and obviously radio gear.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXPV3&P=ML

2. Bolink Legend (now under the name RJSpeed)...kit motor, kit tires, limited ESC, 4 cell spec battery (obviously could change this to a 1 cell lipo)...less than $100

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUEC5&P=SM

3. Losi or Associated late models - box stock.

again just ideas as all of these are over $100 less than any class currently offered...if we chose one to "push" as the "onroad for non-onroad guys class" we could be on to something...thoughts?

I personally have done the Tamiya mini and have had the same M-03 for years...I road trip to a TCS race annually (usually Memphis)...its a really fun class...my #1 vote. Also raced Bolink Legends at Minnreg in Tampa and it was a really fun class too...of course we caught our share of cheaters (ceramic bearings...advancing the motor...so we made the motors a grab bag at the drivers meeting...returned at the end of racing)...these classes were great because of the cheap entry and normally led to folks running the higher end cars later.

Again just ideas.

Paul

darcydawg
    darcydawg

Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts Empty Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

Post  darcydawg Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:45 pm

Paul,

I totally agree that we need a gateway class for on-road. The problem is always getting three people to show up regularly to race and generate more interest in the class and add new racers.

I like the Tamiya Mini class because it is such a low entry barrier, especially for people who already have radios and battery equipment. You should bring your Mini to the next fun race so we can all see it in action. I don't know how these compare to the TT-01 chasis which could be another option.

You know how it goes. 3 cars make a class. If you can challenge, dare, beg, bully, or whatever you need to do to get two other people to show up, I say race 'em.

Regards,
    Carter

muddfoot

Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts Empty Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

Post  muddfoot Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:17 am

Will do...

muddfoot

Post  muddfoot Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:34 pm

I got 2x comming next time (Jordan and I). Steve-O bought one too...if nothing else it'll be fun.
    Tony
    Tony

Post  Tony Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:40 pm

I like the Duratrax 1/18 TC. Yes, I said Duratrax. It's a cheap/well put together RTR. These would be fun to race out of the box. I think the only upgrade allowed should be the radio.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVUK3**&P=0

http://www.duratrax.com/cars/dtxd15-vendetta-tc/dtxd15-index.html
    Tony
    Tony

Post  Tony Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:12 pm

After some more thought, it would be fun to get some SC18's and put down some removable jumps.
    I might just have to do that up here in Los Alamos.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYYK1**&P=ML
    muddfoot

Post  muddfoot Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:35 am

Well I think the best shot at an inexpensive class will be the Tamiya minis. They come with prepackaged ESC's, and silver canned motors. Rules from tamiyas website (loosley) are "use those" and "Tamiya tires and hop ups designed for minis"...

I know I have 2x, Steve, Daniel, Brian are/may be getting them...I think this class could take off once everyone see's how fun they are.

I do agree about the mini short course trucks as I bought Ryan and Jordan Mini Late models which are basically the same thing.

Zac_with_no_K
    Zac_with_no_K

Post  Zac_with_no_K Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:01 pm

muddfoot wrote:Well I think the best shot at an inexpensive class will be the Tamiya minis. They come with prepackaged ESC's, and silver canned motors. Rules from tamiyas website (loosley) are "use those" and "Tamiya tires and hop ups designed for minis"...

I know I have 2x, Steve, Daniel, Brian are/may be getting them...I think this class could take off once everyone see's how fun they are.

I do agree about the mini short course trucks as I bought Ryan and Jordan Mini Late models which are basically the same thing.

I use to race minis also about 5 years ago, and they really were a lot of fun. It would be awesome to race minis again, but I probably won't be able to until next year as I'm still setting up a TA05v.2

I also think the duratrax 1/18 and mini SC sounds fun. I'll try to get into whatever one takes off, if it does.
    muddfoot

Post  muddfoot Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:41 pm

Well as of today Tamiya Mini class is:

1. Myself - M05
    2. Jordan - M03
    3. Brian Detmer - M03 (I think)
    4. Daniel - M04
    5. Steve-O -??

Figure no reason to make it confusing and/or more expensive...kit silver can motors, stick pack or Lipo sticks, Hop ups designed for the model, tamiya tires (they only make a couple rubber compunds)...basically Tamiya TCS rules. This is a really fun class and equals no set up stations, no truers and low costs. When people see how fun they are the class will grow.
    Sean Guthrie
    Sean Guthrie

Post  Sean Guthrie Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:20 am

If we can get some intrest I will order some cars and get them in. They are very inexpensive so we will see how people take to them.
    muddfoot

Post  muddfoot Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:16 pm

Yeah...I am hoping by the 24th we at least have the 5 folks I listed...hopefully they catch on. They are a blast, cheap, and durable. It will be an easy "on road entry class"...a bridge to the "faster classes".

Recommend staying "TCS rules"...those rules work around the country at all TCS races and are widley known...list of rules looks long but they basically try to keep it very close to kit spec. If you go to or watch the national level TCS mini races its amazing how much speed "some folks" can get out of a "grab bag" silver canned motor.

From TAMIYAUSA.com:

Any Tamiya M03, M05 or M04 chassis car that uses the 60D size tire or smaller.
    Tamiya Hop-Ups only.
    No chassis lightening allowed.
    Current TAMIYA Mini bodies available for the M03 and M05 are legal. M04 cars must use M04 bodies that use 60D tires
    Tamiya 60D tires and wheels only (50683, 50684, 53254 and 53340).
    Stuffing tires with inserts to create a "ballooned" tire, and producing overdrive is not legal. Tire diameter limit will be limited to 60mm.
    The Tamiya 540-J motor (53689) is the motor that must be used for the 2010 season
    It is legal to use the maximum pinion gear size on all front-drive and rear drive Mini cars. I.E. 20-tooth on the M03/M05 and 21-tooth on the M04.
    Any Tamiya plastic or aluminum hop-up damper may be used
    Any Tamiya short or regular size hop-up spring may be used.
    The use of LIPO batteries is permitted in this class, but due to the battery compartment having a rounded profile, the only legal LIPOs for this class must have a rounded hard case. I.E. Orion/Peak 2400, 3200, and 3400 Carbon Edition hard cased batteries, Reedy 2400 and 3400 stick LIPOs. Modifying the M-chassis to fit other hard case LIPO batteries is not permitted. Note: New batteries released in the future that have a rounded hard case and have larger capacities will be permitted. There is no mAH or C rating limit. All Lipo’s must be 7.4 Volt 2S-1P configurations.
    Drilling extra vent holes to the wheels is illegal.
    All M-chassis cars must meet a minimum weight of 1250 grams.
    Motor RPM Limits will be imposed to match out of the box performance. RPM numbers TBD.
    It is forbidden to crank the timing on the 540-J motor physically or through the use of rare earth magnets.
    muddfoot

Post  muddfoot Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:21 pm

I found a distributor selling Tamiya Mini foam carpet tires...they are inexpensive and I bought 5 sets...incase we run into the "no traction problem" we had with the HPI F-1's we could make them a spec tire. I'll bring them with me as long as I get them in time.

$20 bones for 4...just paying a brotha back...not selling them per say.
    jlee
    jlee

Post  jlee Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:39 pm

just make sure some one has one there next week for me to check out. I may just have to get my boy one. What type of battery can you run in them?
    muddfoot

Post  muddfoot Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:51 pm

stick packs lipo or regular. I use the duratrax one...4000 I think. Jordan has the Orion 3200. They just have to be the rounded stick pack types. Most of the Tamiya minis come with the Tamiya ESC, all have a silver canned motor. Jordans is the M03M Suzuki swift and it came with both.

No need for "boost style" esc's etc.
    Faron
    Faron

Post  Faron Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:08 pm

Are you guys still running this class, and do you have enough people to keep doing so in the future? If this is the case I am sure that my Buddy and I will be joining you. One last question, in the rules it says yes but... Can I run the RWD Version and a Datsun 280Z Body?

Sean Guthrie
    Sean Guthrie

Post  Sean Guthrie Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:15 pm

The class is growing very steady. There is no support for them as far as parts go yet but it will be coming. RWD, FWD are both legal. Any body for them is legal as well.
    muddfoot

Post  muddfoot Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:56 am

One of the M-05 kits comes with a Datsun 280Z body...loooks cool! Like Sean said Front or Rear wheel drive Tamiya minis, silver can stock motors and rounded lipo or nimh stick packs.

Entry cost for these cars is low and they are really fun.

Hope to see you out there.

Paul

Driving the Suzuki Swift USF Bull-Wagon!
    muddfoot

Post  muddfoot Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:58 am

Sean...I need you to try to get ma a Tamiya or Colt VW bug (beetle) body. Seems EBAY has them...thought your connections may be quicker.

LMK if you can find one and what I'll owe you.

Paul
    Faron
    Faron

Post  Faron Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:55 pm

How much is the M-05 with the 240Z body? I would much rather buy from a Local Hobby Shop then a online store.

Thanks,
    Faron
    Sean Guthrie
    Sean Guthrie

Post  Sean Guthrie Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:27 am

I would love to sell you guys parts but I am waiting for my distributor to re-stock all of the tamiya parts and I dont know how long that will take.
    muddfoot

Post  muddfoot Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:51 am

I recommend the local shops first (Riot and Hobbyproz) but if they cant help you towerhobbies.com has the M-05 with the 280Z body, as does A Main hobbies and of course I am quite sure you can find it on ebay. I think it is being discontinued so you may actually have to call tamiyausa (1800tamiyaa((I think))...its on the website.

There will even be a M-06 out soon...like the m-04 it is rear wheel drive.
    Faron
    Faron

Post  Faron Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:18 pm

Okay is the M-05 RWD?
    moondawg
    moondawg

Post  moondawg Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:25 pm

Faron
    Faron

Post  Faron Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:38 am

WoW! Lots of interesting tips and tricks from Japan if you look. I am starting to really get pumped, may just get whatever body. I had a Mini M-05 but sold it a while back, what a bummer! Ohh well they will make more, see ya Saturday evening!
    muddfoot

Post  muddfoot Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:45 pm

M-01 and M-02 are pretty much collectables, both are FWD

M-03 and M-05 are the "current" FWD's and the M-05 is newer...I dont necessarily think better though...mabye Ill be proven wrong.

M-04 is the rear wheel drive mini until the M-06 comes out.

All of the cars share a multitude of parts! If you have any...parts are pretty much interchangeable...I think 4 of the cars running now are M-05's My son and I run M-03's.

Hope to see you join the class.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am