Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
moondawg
Faron
jlee
Sean Guthrie
Zac_with_no_K
Tony
darcydawg
muddfoot
12 posters

Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

Faron
    Faron

Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts - Page 2 Empty Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

Post  Faron Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:15 pm

I think I am going to buy a Tamiya M04 off eBay. I am selling off all my 4X4 Scale stuff in order to buy a new one! I think I will be able to get it all done by the next race. I also remembered that I have a cool 1/12 scale pan car that I will try to get up and running as quick as I can. Looking forward to racing you guys!

muddfoot

Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts - Page 2 Empty Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

Post  muddfoot Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Cool...you will be the M-04 in the bunch then. Last nigt we had 4 minis (2 were no shows) so the more the merrier!

Paul
    Faron
    Faron

Post  Faron Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:34 pm

My buddy and I planned to go Saturday but my wife wanted to go out to Diner and a movie. Will I be better served getting my 1/12 scale car up and running. How many people are in that class from week to week?
    Sean Guthrie
    Sean Guthrie

Post  Sean Guthrie Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:05 am

The mini class should have 6+ cars the rest of the season, the 1/12th scale class is super fast and has about 8 cars every weekend. Bring your 1/12th scale out to a practice night and give it a try then you can decide what you want to do.
    Jay
    Jay

Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts - Page 2 Empty Add One More to the List!

Post  Jay Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:31 pm

Hows it going guys! My names Jason I'm going to be in Abq for about 5 months. I race off road out in florida and was looking for a place to run. Turns out the off road season is all done. I'm more than likey going to pick up a M-05 asap (hopefully from RCRIOT Laughing ), but I don't think that i'll be able to make the next race since my wife has to send me my radio gear and charger. I really want to get the M-05 PRO (Blue plated) but it doesn't come with an esc/motor. I'll buy a motor, but I don't want to buy a tamiya esc seperate if I don't have to. Can I run my Novak GTX or do I have to have the tamiya ESC? I'd just hate to pick up a M-05 and then spend the extra cash on shocks and ball bearings.

I'm really looking forward to racing with you guys! I'll probably swing by the track tomorrow to check things out if I have time

Jay
    moondawg
    moondawg

Post  moondawg Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:50 pm

Welcome Jay
    You have to run the tamiya silver can motor, which is a brushed motor. The esc does not have to be a tamiya, if your gtx can be used for a brushed motor then it is fine. Go online and google tamiya tcs, the rules are listed there, basically you have to use only tamiya parts.
    It's a fun new class and we expect it to grow quickly..next race is the 20th hope you can make it..
    Asa
    Jay
    Jay

Post  Jay Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:32 am

Thanks for the speedy reply. I checked out the TCS rules before I posted, I just wasn't sure if using a Tamiya ESC was a "HOUSE" rule. As far as the Novak GTX, IMO it is the best brushed ESC around. It's got a really small foot print, no motor limit ( not that you need one with a 540J) and external "posts/holes" for resoldering new wires on. My wife is going to ship out my stuff this week I hope, and I'll swing by RC Riot tomorrow and see about ordering my car and a few other goodies.

Thanks again

Jay
    muddfoot

Post  muddfoot Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Im using an old Tekin brushed ESC, My son uses the kit Tamiya one...I think reverse is actually faster than forward on his!
    Jay
    Jay

Post  Jay Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:20 pm

Are you guys running the kit tires, or did you step up to the M-grip/S-grip tires? BTW I think I'm going to just stick with the standard kit. With the PRO kit I have to buy a body and a motor,after that the cost of the pro kit is almost $200. Anything else that I should pick up that you think is a must at the track? I'm going to pick up the Tamiya bearing set, so far that's about it.

Jay
    moondawg
    moondawg

Post  moondawg Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:13 pm

S/grip work well, not sure how much better they are than the stock tires. Some put traction compound on the tires for added traction, it's available at the track hobby store..I replaced the dog bones with a universal cv drive, the dog bones are prone to popping out. The other things I might change our the shocks, the ones in the kit are plastic..
    Faron
    Faron

Post  Faron Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:54 pm

Just so I know, what Body are most people using in this class.
    Faron
    Faron

Post  Faron Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:03 pm

Will this work for this class, TAMIYA 1/10 R/C Mini Cooper S 2006 w/ESC 58400 If I hear a yes I will buy it! I love the first Gen MINI Cooper S.
    JShultz1

Post  JShultz1 Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:04 am

I am going order the M05 kit...Can't wait to start racing with ya guys. This reminds me of F1 racing back in the 90's....that was some fun stuff.
    Faron
    Faron

Post  Faron Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:38 am

This should make for some exciting racing! Three guys that have never raced or have not raced in a long time. Get ready for a work out corner marshals. HaHaHa
    moondawg
    moondawg

Post  moondawg Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:43 am

Faron wrote:Just so I know, what Body are most people using in this class.
    3 mini cooper and 2 suzuki swift
    JShultz1

Post  JShultz1 Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:56 pm

What batteries are people running?
    moondawg
    moondawg

Post  moondawg Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:44 pm

7.4 lipos in a rounded case, the square cases won't fit. Maybe with some modifying it will..I use Orion brand.
    JShultz1

Post  JShultz1 Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:51 pm

Cool thanks....

Jeff
    JShultz1

Post  JShultz1 Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:09 pm

So how many packs are you all using durring a race day?

Jeff
    moondawg
    moondawg

Post  moondawg Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:12 pm

just one, 2 heat races and the main, 6 min. long.

one lipo will be all never needed.
    JShultz1

Post  JShultz1 Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Cool...What MaH is common there?
    Jay
    Jay

Post  Jay Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:54 pm

JShultz1 I would pick up a pack somewhere between 3500-4000MAH, with a "C" rating of 20 or above. I.E a 3500mah 20C pack is rated at 70amp constant output (if the car's motor/ESC require it) So basically there is no point in getting a $200 Lipo with a 50C rating because the car wont even come close to using it's potential. I belive the Team Orion "Rocket Packs" have the rounded profile we all need to run in the M-chassis without modding it.

Just my $.02
    Jay
    muddfoot

Post  muddfoot Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Yes the Orion and Duratrax packs are rounded and fit the tunnel shaped chassis hole for the battery pack. I think those are the only 2 current types of packs out there rounded to fit mini chassis'.

Any hacking of the chassis' to fit the "better" batteries wouldn't be in the spirit of the mini class...plus (hypothetical here) it would go against TCS rules just incase Sean (RC RIOT)wanted to try to host a Tamiya TCS regional event...AWESOME IDEA although I don't know how this is done...(the particulars).

BAD News for me...I am going to be out of town (Tampa) for the next race so Jordan and I will be MIA on the 20th. Crying or Very sad
    Jay
    Jay

Post  Jay Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Well it's done! I just ordered my new M-05 Pro! I wish I didn't have to buy a special LIPO just for this car, but oh well. My wife also sent out a box with my radio,charger, and Losi XXX-S G+ if I decide to get into the 13.5 class. Hopefully I'll get everything I need to make the next race, but work is starting to get really busy and I might have to wait for a weekend to build the car. Only time will tell.

Jay
    JShultz1

Post  JShultz1 Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:14 pm

Just ordered my M-05 Pro as well. I also agree that having to order a LiPo set-up sucks. Def takes away from the affordablity aspect of stock racing. That aside I am stoked! i wont be able to make it to the 20th due to being hired to cook for a wedding but after that I am gone baby, gone! Can't wait to hold a lane against ya all. Smile

Jeff

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:55 am