Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Share
    avatar
    Faron

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2010-10-31
    Age : 46
    Location : Albuquerque

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  Faron on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:24 pm

    I ordered my 1/10 Mini Cooper Racing Kit: M05 Thursday, and a friend of mine also ordered a car to run. I am so looking forward to racing with you guys. I only ordered the basic M05 kit because I think it is fun to buy and add parts as I go that way I can see if the money I spent was worth it or not. Next step for me is to figure out the batts and charger...
    avatar
    Jay

    Posts : 87
    Join date : 2010-11-08
    Age : 34

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  Jay on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:41 pm

    If you don't have a LIPO charger already make sure you get one that can balance cells, it's really important. You can always stick with a NiMh pack if you want, a decent pack could be had for about $30-40 (my new LIPO cost $57 from horizon) If you go with a NiMh you don't have to worry about buying a charger that is LIPO capable.

    I would try to stick with LIPO if you can, IMO it's just an all around better battery. It's lighter, will last longer (in run time and over all life), and it has a more constant voltage (power) when being used.

    At first I'm only going to be running this one class and I would be more than happy to charge a battery for you if you need it... the only problem is you'll pretty much be at my mercy (if I'm late or have to leave early) I do have 2 chrgers.


    What I will be using in my Mini:
    Team Orion Rocket Pack 4000mah 25C (deans plugs)
    Team Check Piont 1030 charger ( I also have a Turnigy Acucell6)
    Hyperion LBA6S LIPO balancer
    Navak GTX ESC
    Tamiya 540J motor (silver can)
    Spektrum DSM Pro Rx
    Airtronics M11 Tx

    Jay

    wolff840

    Posts : 18
    Join date : 2010-11-02
    Age : 38
    Location : Albuquerque

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  wolff840 on Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:51 pm

    I ordered my m-05 and it is supposed to be here on wednesday. I cant make the race on the 20th but i will see you guys at the one after that. Cant wait

    steven

    Posts : 16
    Join date : 2009-11-13

    mini

    Post  steven on Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:41 pm

    i have the basic mini as well. $125 with car esc, body and motor brand new in box!
    I put some bearings in and thats it!
    Maybe get some oil shocks and im done with it! it is tons of fun!

    Plus I like the feeling that Sean probably thinks the cars are silly and that alone makes it worth it! cheers

    steven

    Posts : 16
    Join date : 2009-11-13

    rc riot

    Post  steven on Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:55 pm

    Jay wrote:If you don't have a LIPO charger already make sure you get one that can balance cells, it's really important. You can always stick with a NiMh pack if you want, a decent pack could be had for about $30-40 (my new LIPO cost $57 from horizon) If you go with a NiMh you don't have to worry about buying a charger that is LIPO capable.

    I would try to stick with LIPO if you can, IMO it's just an all around better battery. It's lighter, will last longer (in run time and over all life), and it has a more constant voltage (power) when being used.

    At first I'm only going to be running this one class and I would be more than happy to charge a battery for you if you need it... the only problem is you'll pretty much be at my mercy (if I'm late or have to leave early) I do have 2 chrgers.


    What I will be using in my Mini:
    Team Orion Rocket Pack 4000mah 25C (deans plugs)
    Team Check Piont 1030 charger ( I also have a Turnigy Acucell6)
    Hyperion LBA6S LIPO balancer
    Navak GTX ESC
    Tamiya 540J motor (silver can)
    Spektrum DSM Pro Rx
    Airtronics M11 Tx

    Jay


    now that the mini class is showing strength and growth. Sean might start stocking the parts. also one more thing to keep in mind, the race fees are dramatically cheaper than they were last year. In order to compensate for rc riots loss in those race fees, lets help them make it up by supporting the hobby shop.
    Try to keep it local lads. RC riot and hobby proz
    avatar
    Faron

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2010-10-31
    Age : 46
    Location : Albuquerque

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  Faron on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:05 pm

    Is he only open when the track is open? I will be happy much happier buying local. I need a set of Lipos and a charger Sean.
    avatar
    Jay

    Posts : 87
    Join date : 2010-11-08
    Age : 34

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  Jay on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:27 pm




    now that the mini class is showing strength and growth. Sean might start stocking the parts. also one more thing to keep in mind, the race fees are dramatically cheaper than they were last year. In order to compensate for rc riots loss in those race fees, lets help them make it up by supporting the hobby shop.
    Try to keep it local lads. RC riot and hobby proz

    I tried to order everything from the shop last tuesday, but the supplier was out of stock, so I was forced to order online. I've been racing since I was 10 (I'm 27) and have seen what happens to a track when people don't support it. I do plan on buying my servo, tire sauce, paint, and some basic RC tools from RC Riot among other things.

    Jay

    wolff840

    Posts : 18
    Join date : 2010-11-02
    Age : 38
    Location : Albuquerque

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  wolff840 on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:44 pm

    steven wrote:
    Jay wrote:If you don't have a LIPO charger already make sure you get one that can balance cells, it's really important. You can always stick with a NiMh pack if you want, a decent pack could be had for about $30-40 (my new LIPO cost $57 from horizon) If you go with a NiMh you don't have to worry about buying a charger that is LIPO capable.

    I would try to stick with LIPO if you can, IMO it's just an all around better battery. It's lighter, will last longer (in run time and over all life), and it has a more constant voltage (power) when being used.

    At first I'm only going to be running this one class and I would be more than happy to charge a battery for you if you need it... the only problem is you'll pretty much be at my mercy (if I'm late or have to leave early) I do have 2 chrgers.


    What I will be using in my Mini:
    Team Orion Rocket Pack 4000mah 25C (deans plugs)
    Team Check Piont 1030 charger ( I also have a Turnigy Acucell6)
    Hyperion LBA6S LIPO balancer
    Navak GTX ESC
    Tamiya 540J motor (silver can)
    Spektrum DSM Pro Rx
    Airtronics M11 Tx

    Jay


    now that the mini class is showing strength and growth. Sean might start stocking the parts. also one more thing to keep in mind, the race fees are dramatically cheaper than they were last year. In order to compensate for rc riots loss in those race fees, lets help them make it up by supporting the hobby shop.
    Try to keep it local lads. RC riot and hobby proz




    I also agree with buying form a local shop, but when you go into a store and try to buy something three times and they never even offer to order it for you or seem to care then you wind up looking elsewhere, i am trying to do my part and wish they will do theirs, but i will try rc riot and buy all of my stuff from them on and off road if they are willing to sell off road stuff

    JShultz1

    Posts : 26
    Join date : 2010-11-09

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  JShultz1 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:30 am

    I def am buying everything else local. I prefer to buy local whenever I can and since hobbyproz is about two blocks from my house, I can even walk there! Like i said, just moved to town and am fining new things every day.

    Also, there is alot of info out there on tuning these lil suckers....What kind of spring, tire, shock oil, gearings are you guys running? Long, Med, or short chassis set up?

    Thanks for any and all the help!

    Jeff

    Can't wait to start racing again!
    avatar
    Sean Guthrie

    Posts : 141
    Join date : 2009-05-13
    Age : 29
    Location : Albuquerque, NM

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  Sean Guthrie on Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:37 pm

    Steve-o your right mini class isnt my favorite class, but all that I care about is that the people who race at my track have a good time and I have yet to see a mini driver come of the stand upset. Plus its more racers and racers that may someday get another style of car so I am all for it.
    I talked to my distributor and they can get the Tamiya mini stuff but they dont stock it so no matter what it would be 2 weeks out.
    I am going to start stocking the batteries that you need for this class and think that I can get some that are a little bit cheaper. I have chargers, radios, and servos. I will probably get a cheap brushed speedo or see if I have some used ones.
    If maybe paul can put a list of the parts that break a lot I will stock those but I honestly have seen you guys destroy those cars and have yet to see anything break. Also if you guys have a style of body you want me to stock I will stock them as well, just get me part numbers. Same goes for tires.
    I really appreciate any and all support of RCRIOT and 4 Fun Hobbies. I am doing this for fun and trust me have not made any money from it and I am so excited to see the growth that we are getting right now. If there is anything that I can do to further grow the club and support the racers just let me know.
    Also sorry for the delayed response Max and I went to Colorado and brought home some trophies plus we have a group of racers who will be coming down for our big race!

    wolff840

    Posts : 18
    Join date : 2010-11-02
    Age : 38
    Location : Albuquerque

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  wolff840 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:43 pm

    Sean, it is good to hear that you are willing to get some parts for these minis, i will check out what you have as i still need a speed control. I am also interested in getting a tc6 and was wondering if you can get these also?
    avatar
    moondawg

    Posts : 55
    Join date : 2009-05-26

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  moondawg on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:55 pm

    Sean it's probably not said enough, but your and John's efforts are greatly appreciated. Without you I don't believe we would have onroad here at all. It's been an up hill battle and it looks like we are staring to win over some new racers.
    Thanks
    Asa

    JShultz1

    Posts : 26
    Join date : 2010-11-09

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  JShultz1 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:22 pm

    Why don't ya like the Mini class? I will say this, back in the early 90's my friends and i built an off road track and never gained any traction, we then tried oval racing, and then we stumbled on the old tamiya F1's. This was a couple years before the TRC so we pretty much made everyone use the green machine 2 motor.... At the end of the first season we had 16 racers due to the friendly price point of the models...It really looks like this M chassis is packing the driver stands as well and that's awsome!

    I really can't wait to meet all of you and go racing!

    Jeff
    avatar
    Jay

    Posts : 87
    Join date : 2010-11-08
    Age : 34

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  Jay on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:19 am

    Well I have good news, and bad news.

    Good news: My wife shipped out all my gear Friday. Radio, chrager, batteries, ESC, basic tools, and LOSI XXX-S G+. Low and behold I come home from work today and I have a USPS slip in my box! I can't belive it got here already! Everything is in great shape, one of my plastic parts box got busted up, but everthing inside it was fine.

    Bad News: Horizon Hobbies emailed me today saying that my order was delayed (the Mini) because the NM address wasn't listed on my CC as an aproved address (fruad stuff) ..... WHO FREAKING CARES SEND ME MY STUFF! So I call my bank to get everything straight thinking that bank was making a fuss about a charge being in NM. They could care less, it was ALL HORIZON. I got everything sorted out, but my shipping has been delayed, and I'm not sure if I'm going to get my Mini in time for the next race. I don't get it I've ordered literally thousands of dollars of stuff from them over the past 7 years. I even had stuff sent to Germany, and the "Sand Box" without a hitch. Just hope I get the car in time.

    Man I can't wait to start racing some On Road!

    Jay

    muddfoot

    Posts : 71
    Join date : 2009-10-06

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  muddfoot on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:16 pm

    Parts that break...

    Sean there arent many. Gears can go eventually, arms...the cars are silly tough and the use of the silver canned motor is great for the life of the car.

    As Brian found out recently, the axles can bend (titanium Tamiya ones are nice), body mounts may snap...really they are tough as nails.

    Ill bring an instruction manual in...that way you have all of the part #'s.

    See you on the race following the 20th (as long as the Air Force lets me be home a while!)
    avatar
    Zac_with_no_K

    Posts : 51
    Join date : 2010-08-16
    Age : 26
    Location : Rio Rancho

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  Zac_with_no_K on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:32 am

    Just ordered a M05. I won't be racing saturday as my TA05v.2 is getting parts from the same box the mini will be arriving in next tuesday.
    Might come to watch!
    avatar
    Faron

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2010-10-31
    Age : 46
    Location : Albuquerque

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  Faron on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:18 pm

    My M05 should be here tomorrow! I doubt that I will be ready to race you guys unfortunately. But I do think I will stop by and see what everyone has as far as Batteries and Chargers! Hummm
    avatar
    Faron

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2010-10-31
    Age : 46
    Location : Albuquerque

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  Faron on Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:05 pm

    ve you guys seen this site? www.rc-mini.net

    JShultz1

    Posts : 26
    Join date : 2010-11-09

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  JShultz1 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:10 am

    It is pretty decent...there is alot of M chassis info out there but ya def have to dig..... Looks like we have a nice class forming up here...how about some simple trophies at a race to be named later...maybe a die cast mini or some such? Just food for thought....
    avatar
    Jay

    Posts : 87
    Join date : 2010-11-08
    Age : 34

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  Jay on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:55 pm

    Well good news, I got my Mini in and I've got it 90% built. I should be able to make it on Sat for the race. The only thing is I don't have a transponder... so maybe I'll just run with the class just for fun. I'll pay entry fees of course! Man this is going to be a BLAST!!

    Jay

    Oh yeah what time does the track open for race days?
    avatar
    darcydawg

    Posts : 42
    Join date : 2009-05-14

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  darcydawg on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:53 am

    Jay,

    They can hand count your laps. Not guaranteed to be 100% accurate, but close. Doors open at 3:00, and racing starts around 6 - 6:30.

    Regards,
    Carter
    avatar
    Faron

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2010-10-31
    Age : 46
    Location : Albuquerque

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  Faron on Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:19 am

    JShultz1 wrote:It is pretty decent...there is alot of M chassis info out there but ya def have to dig..... Looks like we have a nice class forming up here...how about some simple trophies at a race to be named later...maybe a die cast mini or some such? Just food for thought....

    I personally don't see a need for another dust collector in my house. Sorry my opinion.
    avatar
    Jay

    Posts : 87
    Join date : 2010-11-08
    Age : 34

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  Jay on Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:34 am

    Faron wrote:
    JShultz1 wrote:It is pretty decent...there is alot of M chassis info out there but ya def have to dig..... Looks like we have a nice class forming up here...how about some simple trophies at a race to be named later...maybe a die cast mini or some such? Just food for thought....

    I personally don't see a need for another dust collector in my house. Sorry my opinion.

    If your talking about the trophies, then I can do without also. I just want to have a good time, no need for the track to spend extra cash on my account.

    Jay
    avatar
    Faron

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2010-10-31
    Age : 46
    Location : Albuquerque

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  Faron on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm

    I went to the track this evening for the first time, and I gotta say it was VERY nice. Thanks for the advice Jason! I look forward to hitting the track soon!
    avatar
    Jay

    Posts : 87
    Join date : 2010-11-08
    Age : 34

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  Jay on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:42 am

    No problem Faron. If your going to go with LIPO's for batteries I really would pick up that Venom pack they had for sale at the track it's a great deal. I should be there for practice on tues, and thurs. I'll post up if my plans change.

    Jay

    Sponsored content

    Re: Inexpensive but fun On Road class ideas...thoughts

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:10 am