Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Highside20
chromedome
6 posters

Say it isn't so..

chromedome
    chromedome

Say it isn't so.. Empty Say it isn't so..

Post  chromedome Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:05 pm

Heard a rumor that asphalt (i.e. nitro) racing will not be continued in 2012?
    Highside20
    Highside20

Say it isn't so.. Empty Re: Say it isn't so..

Post  Highside20 Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:42 pm

Where did you hear this from? I know turnout was bad but I think that was because we did it on Friday nights. If it is an issue with money then someone needs to tell me who to make the check out to. I fully support running the nitro cars and I will do whatever I can to help support it.
    chromedome
    chromedome

Say it isn't so.. Empty The track

Post  chromedome Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:26 am

info came second-hand, but was told that Sean was not going to renew the lease on the track. Seriously want to know since I spent a TON on a new Xray 8th scale.
    Highside20
    Highside20

Post  Highside20 Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:58 pm

I will ask Sean the next time I see him. Sean is the heart of on-road racing in this city and without his support I don’t think it will survive. I can help with rent and VHT, but without Sean we lose the scoring system, computers and so on. It would be a huge financial hurdle to get a new club up and running. I guess that just means more road trips for us hardcore nitro racers.
    Sean Guthrie
    Sean Guthrie

Post  Sean Guthrie Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:02 pm

It isnt so!!!

Not sure where this rumor came from but I will shed some light on everything for everyone. The lease at Sandia is ours until they need the land for something else and with the success of the quarter midget track I think that area is safe for a long time. The lease is not as professional as leases should be but it is more then enough for both Sandia and RCRIOT. That covers the rumors about the lease.

Now I have said that we may not race anything but nitro out there this year. I say that because Adrian has spent a lot of money and effort with a great carpet facility and it will be open year round and we will race there year round so I don't see a reason to run electric at Sandia. What this means is we would have a shorter program and allow the nitro classes more run time. This would require some help from the nitro racers to bring there own pit people and/or corner marshalls.

As far as the finances go there is a lot to talk about as we get closer and a couple of options. We can keep the fees low and just make enough to cover the lease and use sugar/soda water and have low grip. We can raise the fees and pay for VHT and the lease and have the same grip that we had last year which was great but horrible tire wear. Or we can raise the fees and also take in some donations/memberships fees and seal the track. We have talked to other track including the Time Zone track in Portland and they sealed there track two years ago and now they dont use vht, they have a smoother surface, more consistent grip, and no tire wear.

The last and final option for asphalt racing is finding another location which Adrian and I are looking for closer to the carpet track, larger, flatter, and overall better but that is a long shot and greatly depends on the success of the carpet track.
    chromedome
    chromedome

Say it isn't so.. Empty Thanks

Post  chromedome Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:17 pm

Thanks for the clarification Sean. That's likely where the rumor arose. Someone may have overheard you saying that "nothing but nitro will be run," and misunderstood it. I was nervous since I did buy an 8th scale Xray.
    joncox

Post  joncox Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:25 pm

I've got a Mugen MRX-4 that I'm looking to race. I'd like to help in whatever small way possible.
    Highside20
    Highside20

Post  Highside20 Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:32 am

joncox wrote:I've got a Mugen MRX-4 that I'm looking to race. I'd like to help in whatever small way possible.

We will have to get the facts from Sean, but I do not believe there will be an outdoor season this year. It seems nobody really wants to race the nitro cars anymore. I know I do, but that is about it.

Mike H.
    moondawg
    moondawg

Post  moondawg Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:02 pm

I believe it is a big mistake to divide on road racing into electric and nitro. Need to find a way to co-exist. When we race outside at the old Car Crafters building, is was great..
    Asa
    Highside20
    Highside20

Post  Highside20 Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:11 pm

moondawg wrote:I believe it is a big mistake to divide on road racing into electric and nitro. Need to find a way to co-exist. When we race outside at the old Car Crafters building, is was great..
    Asa

I could not agree more! I feel we should support electric and nitro when we race outdoor. It was great when we raced outside at old Car Crafters and I had the greatest time racing there. The problem is that all I hear is that nobody is interested in racing outdoors again.

Mike H.
    DippinSkinny
    DippinSkinny

Post  DippinSkinny Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:52 am

Ha!! You guys have 2 tracks to fuss over, out here in my area of Alabama I got nothin! Well, Talladega is close by, but do you know how many battery changes it takes to make one lap at Dega......damn. Looks like everything dried up here in Montgomery before I got here, and except for a 1/4 scale oval there isn't anything going on unless I pack up the truck and travel. So while my TC stuff sits patiently waiting I have to be content with hanging out at the lake on the boat, sipping cool drinks and checking out the rrrrrrr view Very Happy
    You guys hang in there and remember that the most important thing is to keep the racing alive, cuz it sure does Suk when it's gone.
    Hey Asa, good to see you're still racing, atleast there's one person out there I can still beat, you old fart!
    Miss you guys, but not the 505!

Steve Felts
    moondawg
    moondawg

Post  moondawg Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:35 am

Hey Steve good to hear from you. I hope something can be done to bring onroad gas and electric together before it dies all together. Hope you and your daughter are well. Come back when you can.
    Asa
    joncox

Post  joncox Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:06 pm

What's the latest word? Will there be 1/8th scale nitro on road this year? If not, is there a track we can practice on, or has it been torn down?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:23 am